The "C" Badge
After solo, the Student/Candidate must demonstrate the ability to use lift sources to prolong a glider flight. There are also dual-flight requirements for the "C" badge.
- Pre-Solo: None
- Private Pilot Candidate: None
Applicant has completed the following flight training:
- Dual soaring practice, including instruction in techniques for soaring thermals, ridge soaring, and wave (simulated flight and/or ground instruction may be used when suitable conditions do not exist).
- Has knowledge of:
- Cross-country Procedures
- Sailplane Assembly, Disassembly, and Retrieves
- Hazards of Cross-country Flying
- Demonstrates soaring ability by solo flight of at least 60 minutes duration after release from a 2,000 foot tow (add 1½ minutes per 100 foot of tow above 2,000 feet).
- While accompanied by an SSA Instructor, demonstrate the following:
- Make a simulated off-field landing from the approach without reference to the altimeter
- Perform an accuracy landing from the approach, touching down and coming to a complete stop within an area no greater than 500 feet in length.
Next Lesson: 8d -- The Bronze Badge
Previous Lesson: 8b -- The B Badge
Return to Training Syllabus