- The student will learn the necessity and procedure for the memorized checklist executed before entering the pattern.
The student must be able to perform
- The FUSTALL checklist before entering the pattern
- All items on the checklist with smooth transition between the steps and authority.
The student must be able to explain
- The purpose of the FUSTALL checklist
- The reasons why Flaps and Undercarriage are included, even though the aircraft lacks flaps and a retractable landing gear
Note that some instructors include an extra "A" for altitude after "Trim".
- Flaps -- Set to the landing setting.
- Undercarriage -- down and locked (down and welded)
- Speed -- Set to the landing speed.
- Trim -- Set to maintain the landing speed.
- Air brakes -- Verify they work before you need them. Open and symmetrical deployment.
- Lookout -- Look to the traffic pattern to ensure proper separation
- Landing -- Look to the landing runway to ensure it is clear
- Glider Flying Handbook (2013), Chapter 7, page 7-22
Next Lesson: 3c -- Traffic Pattern
Previous Lesson: 3a -- Hi-Low Tow Transition
Return to Training Syllabus