The instructor will teach the student the appropriate procedure for aerotow release.
- Student Pilot: 14 CFR §61.87(i)(11)
- Private Pilot Test Candidate: PTS Area of Operation IV(F)
- Proper scanning before release.
- Release from aerotow.
- Confirmation that the rope has been released before starting the turn.
- Proper separation between the towplane and glider.
When complete, the student will be able to:
- clear the area before release.
- especially for a pattern tow, makes sure that no other traffic will immediately conflict (without jeopardizing the stability of the aerotow).
- release with no slack in the rope
- release in the high-tow position
- confirm that the rope is away before beginning the separation turn.
- perform a level right turn after release.
- perform the release at the appropriate altitude.
Next Lesson: 2g -- Visual Signals
Previous Lesson: 2e -- Cockpit Management
Return to Training Syllabus